The Pop Culture Junkie | Get Addicted
Thursday, November 23, 2006

Gossip columnist Cindy Adams caught up with the woman who originated the role of "Dreamgirls" character Deena Jones on Broadway.

Beyonce
may play her in the film, opening on Dec. 25, but it was Sheryl Lee Ralph who is most identified with the role of Deena among folks of a certain age.

"The film opens Christmas Day, which makes it exactly 25 years and five days after our Michael Bennett landmark musical rang up the curtain," Ralph told Adams. "We opened Dec. 20, 1981. That night was the greatest rush of excitement you can imagine. Like your wedding, prom, 16th birthday all rolled into one. I knew then my life would never be the same.

"I played this role 1,247 performances. Six years of my life doing this show. It was the best of times, the worst of times. Best because we were the toast of the town. Worst because it was when the mystery disease AIDS began wiping out the talent on Broadway."

Adams asked if Ralph had seen the film yet. She replied: "No. Seen absolutely nothing. Haven't even been invited to a screening. Nobody ever reached out to me. I guess that's just showbiz. I always said I wanted someday to do the movie, but they told me then, 'By the time Hollywood gets it hands on this it'll be too late for you to do the role.'

Ralph's thoughts on how Beyonce will fare?


"Wonderful," she replied. “What can I say but 'wonderful.' She'll be different from me. Understand, our creative process was different. We were two years in workshops, hashing it out, creating it out of improvisations like 'A Chorus Line.' The show paid homage to the Supremes but wasn't based on it. Yes, my role paid homage to Diana Ross. In the '60s, everybody paid homage to Diana Ross.

"Of the other ladies in it, Loretta Devine and I have kept a deep friendship. She was at my wedding. I'm not in touch with Jennifer Holliday. Don't even know where she is."

Ouch...she seems a bit slighted by Hollywood! But I think it is a bit f*cked up that they didn't at least call her for a screening or even her opinion on the role...but hey she's no Oprah! [Oprah screened it twice]

[SOURCE]

Labels: