The Pop Culture Junkie | Get Addicted
Sunday, September 02, 2007


Rihanna covers the September issue of Atlanta Peach Magazine where she talks details about her life, including her relationship with her father, tattoos, firing of her marketing person, and playing second fiddle to Tierra Marie.


Rihanna looks just peachy!

On Her Relationship With Her Father
“I am actually embarassed by that. I don’t like speaking about it because I am not proud of it. But it is something that helped make me who I am today. Now people know that I am not perfect and that I had real conflicts. My dad is not pleased, because he is embarrassed. We still have not sat and had a conversation about it.”
Continue reading to read the full interview...

On Firing Her Marketing Person
“I felt like my girlie image was boring and contrived and generic. I was so restricted. I could not wear red lipstick. If I did I would get cursed out by my marketing person. I did a big performance on an awards show and I won some awards and [was happy] , but as soon as I got off the plane, I got the nastiest email from her about [my looks]. I then realized she was not treating me like a human being so I cut her off.

On Becoming a Superstar After Playing Second Fiddle To Tierra Marie
That [was] a funny situation, but I always remained humble. I was just the little Caribbean girl. You have to be good to people. I could very easily say it’s all karma…God has favor on me and has blessed me, and I cannot even thank Him enough.

On Her New Obsession With Tattoos
“I like hanging in tattoo shops. When I am in New York, after all the photo shoots and performances, when I should be resting, sometimes I get dressed and go to the tattoo parlors in SoHo and just hang out. I am so intrigued by tattoos. It’s an entire culture, and I study it. Sometimes I go with friends or just by myself. I get bum-rushed, but I don’t care. I don’t take security.”

On Her New Look
As an entertainer, you put everyone else first, because you want to please everyone. Then you think, Am I happy? I knew I wanted to do something new with my look and my sound. I want to keep people intrigued. And [since] I was not being intrigued by myself, I knew other people were not. I am a free woman. Everything I couldn’t do before I do now. I cut my hair. I wear black. I wear red lipstick. I am doing all these things and it’s working. I decided to just be me, and I feel so liberated.

On Bad Guys
I like bad guys. [They have] the most personality and make you laugh. I love that. I need to have a good time. Happiness is when I get off the phone and I am glowing. I want that person to be my light.”

Labels: