The Pop Culture Junkie | Get Addicted
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Jennifer Hudson recently previewed her album with the L.A. Times and given up some of the goods on her upcoming release due out Sept. 30th. According to writer Ann Powers, "the best cuts include the super-sassy Timbaland production "Pocketbook," which features a lascivious rap from Ludacris, and the smooth heartbreaker "Invisible," helmed by the Underdogs, the production team behind the "Dreamgirls" soundtrack."

Here some of the Q&A from their conversation:

On the occasion of your upcoming recording debut, Jennifer, all I can say is -- finally!

Ha ha! There was a lot of material. I recorded over 40 songs. There was a rumor going around that the original album was scrapped, but that was never the case. Some songs on there are among the first we recorded, like "We Gon' Fight."

That one is a gospel-flavored number, but with a futuristic beat.

It was produced by Tank [a.k.a. Durrell Babbs]. I'm a huge fan of his, and I thought the song was a great idea. I love the feeling of it. It's very modern, but it has the elements of R&B.

Several other cuts I heard are classic ballads, and then "Pocketbook" is a high-energy throwdown.

I like the variety and flexibility of my voice [on the album]. I don't mind stepping outside what I'm used to doing. I grew up in the church, and was always into ballads, but I'm very open to contemporary music. I consider my voice a tree with many branches.'

Continue reading for more on Whitney, Clive, and her tour plans!


Expressing vulnerability is one of your great gifts as a singer, and it's highlighted here on ballads like "Giving Myself to You," which reminds me of a classic mid-1980s torch song.

Everybody has a soft side, no matter how tough you may appear. I want to let my listeners in on that side of me. It's all about emotion. To me, that comes from learning what you're singing about. You can sing at a song, or you can sing the song. If you know what it's about, you can really sing the song. Otherwise, you're just making a noise. That I learned from being in church.

I hear a Whitney Houston influence on that song.

I definitely take that as a huge compliment. Of course, again, it adds more pressure! But I don't mind it at all.

Well, Clive Davis is Whitney's mentor too. What was his involvement in your recording sessions?

I have been discovered by the world's greatest talent expert, but actually, he's never been in the studio with me. He would send me a song, or I'd go see him at the office. That's when he gives his input. He's definitely a hands-on kind of guy.

It can't have been easy, balancing this intense recording experience with your acting career.

It's just a love for the art that's driving me to do them both. I didn't expect an acting career before a singing career. I've never trained as an actor. I never even thought about it. I always wanted to sing.

What are your touring plans?

We'll start maybe in October. Or January. I'm really looking forward to it -- that's my favorite thing, performing live. My fans want an intimate setting, and it's all about my fans. So I'm going to make it that way.

Labels: