The Pop Culture Junkie | Get Addicted
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Janet Jackson, who's launching her world tour Sept. 11th, talks about her thoughts on getting married again, those never-ending gay rumors, her dreams of Broadway and why she wishes she was more like Janet drag queens with E! Online. Janet will be recieving the the Vanguard Award at the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation's 19th Annual Media Awards at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre this weekend.

When did you first realize you were a gay icon?
I never thought of myself as that, and it never even crossed my mind when people started calling me icon and legend and all this other stuff. I remember I was over in Europe and I called my boyfriend [music megaproducer Jermaine Dupri] once because they had introduced me on a show as a legend, and I said, "You know they introduced me as 'the legendary Janet Jackson', " and he said, "You are." [Laughs.] I never thought of that or looked at myself in that way. But I'll wear the title. I'll own it.

So Janet wants to be a Janet drag queen?
[Laughs.] When [late makeup artist] Kevyn Aucoin was around, I used to say it would be really fun to do a whole editorial spread in a magazine with me as a drag queen, completely from head to toe. I would love to do that.

You've said it doesn't bother you if someone says you're gay or bisexual. So if you were, who would be your top three girl crushes?
I don't know if I have three. I think I would pick Alicia Keys, for sure. I think she's wonderful.

Let's talk about gay marriage…
I think it should be legalized. I think it's about finding your soul mate. It's finding that person you connect with. But most people don't get it right. Look at me! The thing is, I don't know if I ever will or won't get married again. I'm very happy where I am. I just think I jinx marriages, but that's not going to stop me from loving.

You can read more here.

Labels: