The Pop Culture Junkie | Get Addicted
Monday, February 26, 2007
Or lowlight should I say...



In one of the night's biggest shockers, Eddie Murphy, the Oscar favorite, lost the Best Supporting Actor Award to Little Miss Sunshine's Alan Arkin.

This added to the growing list of losses for the mega-hit-movie and top nominated film, Dreamgirls. Dreamgirls went 2 for 8 last night, winning Best Sound Mixing and Jennifer's Best Supporting Actress.

Other than Eddie's loss, I was thoroughly shocked over the Best Original Song Award loss to Melissa Etheridge. Not disrespect to her, but 3 songs were nominated from Dreamgirls and at least two of them should have easily been the winner. I know the Best Costume Director was a tight race, however I thought Sharen Davis had a better shot.

All in all, it was one of the best Oscar nights for African Americans, this year being one of the most diverse ever. So I look forward to next year!


Labels: , ,