The Pop Culture Junkie | Get Addicted
Friday, October 05, 2007


In a recent interview with VH1 about their upcoming show, Cheryl "Salt" James reveals that she suffered from an eating disorder and more during their rise to fame.
I found this quote from 1995 that I thought was prophetic. Salt told Mary Wilson in Interview: “There’s going to come a point in my life where I’m probably not going to want to make records anymore.” Salt, when did you start to realize that the music business wasn’t for you?

Salt: I don’t know when it started. I just got really, really tired and depressed. I had issues. I had self-esteem issues. I was severely bulimic and it was getting more and more out of control as the stress mounted, as the pace of being a superstar got more hectic. It got sour between [Pepa and I] because of other things. Miscommunication. We felt like we couldn’t express ourselves to each other. Other people got in the mix. There’s so many people in your life: managers, lawyers, record-company people. “You gotta do this. You gotta do that.” It just caught up with me. Since I was 18, Salt-N-Pepa just took off. It wasn’t a gradual thing. So this was a build up of many things as well as normalcy. I just wanted some normalcy. If I could put it in one statement, it would be that I felt like I had no control over my life. And that’s not a good feeling.
Salt-N-Pepa goes on to discuss how things fell apart, how they grew apart and what to expect from the upcoming reality show, that even features them going to blows. I will be tuning in Oct. 15th to catch the premiere! If you missed the preview, check it out HERE.

Read Part 1 | Part 2

Labels: