The Pop Culture Junkie | Get Addicted
Monday, September 08, 2008
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Serena Williams had to take out big sis Venus to win her ninth grand slam title, and her third U.S. Open! Get it girl!
Displaying the talent and tenacity that allowed her to dominate tennis earlier in the decade, Williams outlasted Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 7-5 Sunday night in a thrill-a-minute match chock full of marvelous strokes and momentum swings to win her third U.S. Open championship and ninth Grand Slam title.

"Every one is so exciting, believe me," Williams said. "This is cool because I'm at No. 9. I'm pushing the doors closer to double digits, which of course I want to get to."

And there was this "added bonus," as Williams termed it: She returns to the top of the rankings.

"I think this title meant more to Serena than any title she's ever won," her father and coach, Richard Williams said. [via SI]

Labels: